Sunday, July 16, 2006

Black Flag!

Saturday, July 15th

It was a very hot and humid night of racing in Algona.

The track was very sloppy during the heat race. I finished 7th in the heat race.

After the heat race, I found the rear bushing and seal had vibrated out of the new transmission that was just put in. With the help of Rod McClurg, Jeff Nielsen, Puffy and Bruce Wickman we put Dave Wickman's tail shaft housing into the car with 5 minutes to spare before the feature.

I started last in the feature. On the corner of the first lap a car came down from the high side into my right front fender. His car was sideways and I had about 3/10ths of a second to make a decision. If I were to hit the breaks and slide into him again I would take the risk of bending the front frame and radiator. Since I already made contact I made the decision to stay on the gas and spin him around. That decision got me a "beautiful black flag"!

So much for 45 minutes of hot, sweaty labor before the feature.

No comments: